CFIA Licensing & PCP Consulting
CFIA License Application | PCP Preparation | Recall Procedures | Foreign Supplier Assessments
The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) came into force on January 15, 2019. Food businesses that conduct any of the following five activities are required to obtain a licence from the CFIA:
- Import food
- Manufacture, process, treat, preserve, grade, package, or label food to be exported or sent inter-provincially
- Export food that requires an export certificate – even if not preparing the food
- Slaughter food animals from which meat products are derived for export or to be sent across provincial
- Store and handle a meat product in its imported condition for inspection by the CFIA
To help food businesses comply with the SFCR, our food safety Consultants are ready to assist food businesses develop Preventive Control Plan (PCP) and obtain licences from the CFIA.
1. CFIA Licence Application & PCP Consulting
CFIA Licence Application
Help apply for Safe Food for Canadian (FSC) licences from CFIA , including import licence, export licence, and manufacturing licence, and Assist with online SFC licence application, submission and registration
Preventive Control Plan (PCP) Preparation
Assist with preparation of Preventive Controls and Preventive Control Plan (PCP) to demonstrate how food safety hazards are identified and controlled and the regulatory requirements are met
Complaints and Recall Procedures Development
Assist with development of an effective customer complaint and recall/traceability system to ensure the SFCR requirements are met
Importer PCP Preparation and Foreign Supplier Assessments
Assist with selection, evaluation and verification of foreign suppliers to ensure the Canadian standards are met. Help prepare PCP, complaint and recall procedures for importers
2. CFIA Food Safety Programs (FSEP, QMP) Implementation
- Assist with preparation of written PCP, consumer protection plan, traceability and recall program, as well as consumer complaint procedure as per the SFCR requirements
- Develop and implement food safety management programs to meet the CFIA’s specific requirements including a Food Safety Enhancement Program (FSEP), Quality Management Program (QMP) and Export Certification Control Program (ECCP) Plan
- Provide ongoing support to assist with your existing PCP implementation & maintenance
3. CFIA Compliance Verification Supports
- Provide supports in preparation for government/regulatory inspections and verification
- Assist with taking appropriate and timely corrective actions in response to non-compliances identified by CFIA inspectors during regulatory compliance verification
4. Foreign Supplier Food Safety Program Assessment
Under the SFCR, an imported food must be manufactured, prepared, stored, packaged or labelled before it is imported into Canada under the same conditions required in Canada.
To provide proof that imported food is safe, we help foreign supplier identify whether each of preventive controls under the SFCR that apply to the food are in place and are being implemented effectively, and food safety hazards that may reasonably be expected to contaminate the food have been identified and controlled to demonstrate the imported food is safe.
5. Non-resident Importer (NRI) Consulting
All foods must be imported to Canada by a licensed Canadian importer. A foreign business that prepares foods for import into Canada cannot apply for a licence under the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) unless they qualify as a non-resident importer (NRI). For more information on NRI consulting service.
For additional information or to request a consulting service, please contact us.